Quick search:

Full search

GCR London Extension stations - Nottingham Victoria

New additions placed here temporarily:

Services

The station, with its near NE-SW alignment was a popular location with photographers for views of trains and portraits of locomotives, especially at the southern end and here is an example. However, this is more than a choo-choo picture and much can be said about the GCLE and its workings!

Click for full size image in a pop-up window. Use 'X' to close

This picture of ex-GCR D9 No 6022 was taken on Tuesday 7th June 1927 and being a sunny day with clear shadows, a lot can be worked out using WTTs and CWBs. Note that a single light is being carried per a light engine movement. Train lights will be added when the loco couples up to its train. Photo: Author's collection.

Click on the image for an enlargement

The loco was based at Annesley and my estimate of the time of day is approx 3pm for which there were two possibilities for trains that the loco was about to take charge of:

2.50pm Nottingham Vic - Rugby
3.40pm Nottingham Vic - Leicester

- The second one can be ruled out because this was the daily express from Cleethorpes-Leicester and was normally worked through by an Immingham 4-6-0.

- The earlier train was an Ordinary Passenger which was part of a complex roster for a Leicester non-gangwayed 4-set (BT, F, T, BT), probably made up with ex-GCR clerestories, which shuttled up and down the GCLE and was well suited to a light passenger 4-4-0.

Its immediately prior working was to Ollerton (to the NE of Nottingham) and back, which may have been worked by a passenger tank engine. On arrival at Nottingham Victoria at 2.7pm, almost 3/4hr was allowed for the loco to come off and a tender loco to take over for the rest of the roster. Note how full the tender was, an indication that there would be no more refuelling during the day.

The roster varied between Saturdays and Saturdays Excepted - the latter being the case here - and the next journey was all-stations to Rugby Central where the train terminated from 4.26pm to 5.45pm. The loco would have drawn the carriages into one of the sidings and eventually run round them ready for departure all-stations to Loughborough, which would have been worked tender-first.

At Leicester, five minutes were allowed before continuing to Loughborough where the train changed direction again and the D9 had to run round once more. This this time, however, in returning to Leicester, it ran chimney-first.

In this third visit of the day to Leicester, the pause was an extended one lasting 49 minutes and it allowed the D9 to be turned to face north for its final leg: Leicester-Nottingham and Mansfield.The day ended with another tender-first leg, ECS to New Basford carriage sidings.

A key element of this roster was the service to Rugby and Loughborough at both of which the train changed direction and the loco had to run round and, because neither station had a turntable, a certain amount of tender-first running was required. This kind of thing is rarely "seen" by modellers, because it was rarely photographed! Such services with intermittent use of a set during the day were often provided for passengers to and from wayside stations connecting with through expresses.

New image added:

Click for full size image in a pop-up window. Use 'X' to close

I have found a second picture of D9 No 6022, taken in 1928 approaching Loughborough from the north with a non-gangwayed Ordinary Passenger 4-set. It's impossible to say for certain if this was the roster described above but it's quite likely. The formation is the same (BT, F, T, BT) and the carriages were:

ex-GCR

BT

3rd brake

50' London Suburban

ex-GCR

  F

1st

50' London Suburban

ex-GCR

  T

3rd

60' Robinson

ex-GCR

BT

3rd brake

50' London Suburban

The 50' London Suburban carriages had been cascaded from Marylebone after arrival off Robinson's matchboard versions, of which the 60' 3rd was an example; it was a 10-compartment carriage. Photo: W.L. Good.

Click on the image for an enlargement

This is a link to the main topic about London Suburban carriages:

GCR carriages - 50ft London Suburban: are here.

Introduction

This station, jointly owned by the GCR and GNR, was quite a sight and a great many pictures were taken of it and its trains. But first, here's an overview of the station. As far as possible, all the illustrations are in chronological order.

The station

The first three views are from the early 1900s when the station was new and are colourised postcards, and all three are quite different in their treatment of the brickwork and stone!

Click for full size image in a pop-up window. Use 'X' to close

This rather beautiful postcard was produced by R.Leeman & Sons Ltd in their "Broad Marsh Series" and posted on 8th November 1905, from Nottingham, to a lady in Dublin. Alas, apart from the clock tower which is shown correctly in red brick, the colouring is fictitious, and that includes the red brick Victoria Hotel. Today, only the clock tower remains, and the hotel, which is now a Hilton Hotel. C. Golder collection.

Click on the image for an enlargement

Click for full size image in a pop-up window. Use 'X' to close

Next is a Raphael Tuck's Post Card in their "Charmette" series and unposted. In this production red brick colour was applied correctly to most of the building. A warmer shade would have been more realistic but it's by far the best effort of this trio. It's tempting to correct using Photoshop and I may do that later, with the aim of showing how stunning the building actually was.

Details were in Darley Stone, which is similar to Millstone Grit (both of which blacken with exposure to industrial smog - a good example of the original cream colour can be seen on buildings which have been cleaned/restored, such as Leeds Town Hall). C. Golder collection.

Click on the image for an enlargement

Click for full size image in a pop-up window. Use 'X' to close

Thirdly, a Postcard only identified as "Great Britain and Ireland" and posted on 5th September 1903 , from Nottingham to Bedford. In this version the whole building has been colourised an elegant cream, alas falsely. On the awning can be seen the name, "Victoria Station".

Somewhat intriguingly, an earlier version of this card from the same source was black and white and captioned as "Great Central Station" even though underneath the station name can be seen "Great Central and Great Northern Railways".

It's to the earlier style in which only the address was written on the back and the front offered some white space where a message could be squeezed in. It had been posted by a man to his young son in Exmouth . C. Golder collection.

Click on the image for an enlargement

Click for full size image in a pop-up window. Use 'X' to close

The fourth view is from 1953 and shows an enquiry office added in front of the awning and "LNER Victoria Station" high up on the clock tower. Queen Elizabeth's coronation took place that year and the number of flags and shields bedecking the frontage is astonishing. LGRP, author's collection.

Click on the image for an enlargement

Click for full size image in a pop-up window. Use 'X' to close

Moving inside, this sepia postcard is from the late Victorian era soon after opening and was taken on Platform 4. A light engine is standing on the central road between the platforms. The glazed roof is pristine. To the right is a "Dining Room" and a busy bookstand. Platform 10 is on the far side. Kingsway Real Photo Series Post Card, unposted, author's collection.

Click on the image for an enlargement

Click for full size image in a pop-up window. Use 'X' to close

Platform 10 as seen on 18th September 1964, still looking light and airy. M. Morris collection.

Click on the image for an enlargement

Click for full size image in a pop-up window. Use 'X' to close

This view from the same day shows the panelled booking and ticket offices. W.H. Smiths has a prestigious location nearby. M. Morris collection.

Click on the image for an enlargement

Click for full size image in a pop-up window. Use 'X' to close

This view from June 1910 is useful for showing the original frontage of the train shed with its exuberant glazing,

Parked on a central road is GCR Class 8E (LNER C5) No 364 Lady Henderson (renamed Lady Faringdon in 1917). At the time all four compound Atlantics were allocated to Gorton and used for expresses to Marylebone and back. No lights are being carried as yet and its likely next turn is not known. J.Scott-Morgan collection.

Click on the image for an enlargement

Click for full size image in a pop-up window. Use 'X' to close

Captured a little later on 4th June 1912 is GNR Ivatt small Atlantic, No 258 (LNER C2). It would work back to the GNR at Grantham where it was allocated. J.Scott-Morgan collection.

Click on the image for an enlargement

Click for full size image in a pop-up window. Use 'X' to close

The LNER began modifications to the front of the train shed and in this late 1930s view partial removal of the glazing can be seen to improve the ventilation.

"Footballer" B17 No 2853 Huddersfield Town is pausing with the Newcastle-Swansea express. Note the through carriage (BCK) from Hull behind the tender carrying triple destination boards. Photo: Author's collection.

Click on the image for an enlargement

Click for full size image in a pop-up window. Use 'X' to close

By 1945-46 more of the front glazing had been removed, a precursor of what was to follow.

The platform roads were used for all traffic passing through the station and a Class C goods train is waiting for a clear path. In charge is ex-NER Q6 0-8-0 No 2274, a long way from its home shed, Newport on the NEA.

Perhaps of greater interest is the 4-4-0 to the far right: it was the unique D3 which was rebuilt in 1944 for use with officers' saloons. A side-window cab was provided and a unique green livery with "N E" on the tender and the company crest in between, which is fairly clear on the print. It also received a Thompson number, 2000, which can just about be discerned. J.Scott-Morgan collection.

Click for full size image in a pop-up window. Use 'X' to close

The south end of the platforms looking north in 1952 with large areas of the glazed frontage removed or replaced with plain sheeting; a certain gauntness, austerity, perhaps, replaced the original handsome design.

It's a quiet time of the day with some Gresley bow-ended carriages parked on one of the central roads and a B1 alongside with a modest Ordinary Passenger train. LGRP, author's collection.

Click on the image for an enlargement

Click for full size image in a pop-up window. Use 'X' to close

Another view from the same location but on Friday, 18th September 1964. Rising high to the left is the rear of the station hotel. Half a dozen parcels vans stand in one of the south-facing bays. A B1 waits in the central road to the right while a goods train can be seen approaching. M. Morris collection.

Click on the image for an enlargement


To be continued...

Latest News

Leeds - West Riding

Leeds map

A new section with its own menu.

Read more ...

LNER Passenger Trains and Formations

The book took 12 years for me and Clive to complete and, though I say so myself, Ian Allan have made a beautiful job of it (see full description and sample pages). Vol.2 about the Secondary Services should follow in a year or so's time.

Copyright © S.W.Banks 2020    Privacy Policy    Terms & Conditions    Design by PageUp

X

Sorry ...

... this has been disabled.